Sunday, March 1, 2009

Potty Training!!

After, seriously, months of trying to potty train (off and on)...Spencer is finally doing it! He's not done, but we are actively and happily working on it! We had been telling him for a month that as soon as he "went" on the potty, we would take him to the dinosaur museum. He talked about that all the time...but that's all it was - talk. Up until this past week, he would sit on the potty for HOURS and just hold it, and as soon as I would put a diaper on him, it was full. I was glad to know he could hold it...but extremely irritated that he would do so for so long. I'm not sure what finally clicked, but this last Tuesday he sat on the big potty (we had previously been encouraging his little potty chair), and just went #1 (I will keep it to numbers, as not to offend). I was giddy! Oh the things that make you happy when you are a mother! He is also very excited and proud of himself. Anyway, he's been going #1 ever since, he is wearing underwear and keeping it dry, and he often even realizes when he has to go, and goes and sits on the potty - all by himself!

We have yet to see a #2. He does NOT want to sit on the potty for #2. I'm not sure what to do about that. I feel like I don't want to force him too hard, plus I just want to enjoy what he's already accomplished. Any ideas or advice about #2??


What a proud big boy! He's really growing up!

9 comments:

Amanda said...

Poopie treats. Maybe Tootsie-Rolls? And he only gets them if he goes number two. Or,.. what's another fun place you can bribe him with? He is so cute. What a big boy. I have to admit, it makes me jelouse to know that you are coming to an end of changing MAN poops!

Melody said...

I had a friend whose son did that. He would tell her he had to go potty, and she would put a diaper on him and let him do the deed. I think it's o.k. to just let that ride for now. He's potty trained as long as he's not going #2 in his underwear (that's the WORST to clean up). He'll go in the toilet when he's ready. Congrats on your success!!!

Jessie said...

Yay Spencer! I'm so excited for you guys. I bet one day he'll probably kill you for posting that photo, though. :)

I don't know what to tell you about the #2 thing... I just tried not to make it any different from #1, so Breanne didn't really think anything about it. But if he already thinks it is... I don't know where to go from there. Other than some sort of treat, like Amanda said. Maybe a package of dinos that he could pick one of every time? Or cars, or something like that?

Mason & Laura said...

Hooraaaay for spencer!!! He's smart: he'll poop thing when he's ready. :)

Middletonfamily said...

Good job Spencer! I have an idea for you to try. Have him turn around so that he is facing the toilet. That is actually how I potty trained Nathan on the big potty. I remembered my mom doing that with my brother. I think it helps because they feel more stable on the potty and don't feel like they are going to fall in, and of course treats for going on the potty are a great motivator. He will be there in no time! Oh I forgot to mention that the only annoying thing about them facing backwards is they have to take their bottoms all the way off which is annoying when you are at a public restroom.

Ty and Trista Swartzlander said...

What a big man. I think you are so smart to celebrate what he is doing with #1. One thing that worked with Trae was to keep watching his face until we saw the poop face (the expression he makes while he is trying to poop), and then rush him to the potty and put him on so the #2 will go in the potty and then make a huge party out of the #2 in the potty.

Jill And Thain said...

yeah I obviously don't have kids yet because My thought was let him go in his pants and then maybe he would just hate the feeling...hmm messy probably. :)

Elisha said...

I am jealous!! Do you want to do my boys also?? hehe

The Blaine gang said...

Wow, happy times for the Batemans! I love it when it clicks and they decide they want to go potty! We always had to up the anty for #2. This one worked. We had the child pick out a real cool new toy at the store and then we displayed it on top of the fridge. It was the poop toy. The first time they got it in the potty they got the toy. With Deven I had to buy a huge pack of cars. (One toy didn't seem to get the idea to stick) He got one each time he made it. It took awhile, but he got it. I say keep it positive and keep celebrating!