
I have Crohn's disease...as many already know. It is an inflammatory bowel disease that effects my colon and part of my small intestine. I was diagnosed with it almost 10 years ago, and so far it really doesn't cause me too much trouble, I really can't complain too much. Most of the time it is very manageable with meds. There have been a few episodes where I've needed stronger meds (once was after having Spencer and nursing for a year), and I have been going through another flare up for the last few months.
Caution -- semi graphic details here --
For me, flare ups usually consist of me being on the toilet at least 5 or 6, or more times in the morning. Thankfully I don't have much pain...just a general feeling of yucky. It is draining (ha ha, literally), and it usually sucks all the energy right out of me...which, unfortunately, I don't have much energy in the first place to spare. With other flare ups, I have lost weight, because most food just goes right through me...which is one minor redeeming quality to this condition. I was not so lucky this time though - I didn't loose any weight! So sad. Also, sometimes, with a flare up, I have joint problems too - swollen ankles, sore knees, etc. But that didn't happen this time either, so I guess that makes up for the weight thing.
I ended up having my second colonoscopy back in February (the first one being the one that diagnosed the condition back in 2000), and the Dr. said "yep, you have active Crohn's." Um, duh. So they put me on some watered down steroids which helped a little. I wasn't feeling great so I went back to the Dr. for the prednisone...the good stuff...the amazing steroids, which last time I was on I felt like a million bucks! It's been almost 2 weeks, and I am FINALLY feeling like a normal person again. Well, not really normal, because the steroids make me a little OCD and jittery, and also weirdly spacey...don't ask me how OCD and spacey go together. Trust me, it's weird. But now at least I have some energy again, and am motivated to clean my house or go outside to play with Spencer! I'll only be on them for a few more weeks, since there are a bunch of adverse side effects...dang it. But hopefully I'll be on my way to feeling back to my old self =).
Anyway, this has been an issue in my life and on my mind lately, and at the risk of sounding cliche...I decided to share =). Also, maybe I am wanting to use this as a disclaimer...if I'm late to something, now you know why. And, if I seem a little OCD/spacey...now you know why!

8 comments:
BU is no fun!! Boo to BU! I wish I had an excuse to be late! ;) I love you and I hope that all this gets better!! Dumb poo, why even? It's so gross!
I'm glad you posted this, actually, because it gives me a better idea of what you go through... and makes me so sorry that you have to deal with this junk! And while part of me says "Yay, prednisone! time to feel better!" the rest of me remembers what my brother looked like after having been on it for a while, and feels relieved that you won't have to add all that water weight to your weight loss goals... :) Still, though, no fun. I hope they figure out better ways to treat this disease, and soon.
I am glad to get to know a little more about you. I am sorry that you have to deal with this. If you ever need anything let me know! It stinks that we haven't gotten together in awhile. My kids just seem like a bunch of sickos lately. Are you guys getting pools passes this summer? My kids are stoked for the waterpark already!
Blech, no fun. I hope you get feeling 100% better soon w/out the meds!
Sorry you have to deal with this. I really can't relate...but I can try to sympathize. I hope you get better soon!
Wow, it's amazing to me how delicate and advanced the human body is, and how there are so many variations of complications when something is a little off! Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to rain on your parade or tell you your trials are not hard. It just got me thinking of how well engineered our bodies are, can you imagine all the fine tuning Heavenly Father did to construct our bodies so that the different diseases and stuff are the exceptions and not the rules? It's kind of mind boggling!
But on a personal note, feel free to call on me if you are having a junky day and need a break, or some company, or help with anything!
:( Sorry that it's been acting up again, that's not fun.
I know too many people that suffer from this disease. I hope you are feeling 100%! I also hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!
Post a Comment