Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Surgery

I have been out of commission for the last couple of weeks (hence the lack of blogging) due to people cutting me open and taking my right fallopian tube out of my body. That’s right. It sucked. Good thing for anesthesia though! I had an ectopic pregnancy (where the fertilized egg attaches itself in the fallopian tube instead of making it to the uterus), and my tube ruptured, so I had to have the tube removed.

It all happened Sunday, July 6th. I had been having bad stomach pains during the week, but they would usually go away after an hour or so. However, Sunday, after I sat down from giving a lesson in Relief Society, I started having even worse pains. We decided to go to the ER after a couple of hours of pain and when I started feeling faint. By the time we got there Dave had to carry me in because I couldn’t walk, I was so faint. (Good thing he’s so manly.) Anyway, they checked me out and found the ruptured tube on the right side, and a large (tangerine sized) cyst on the left side. They had nothing to do with each other, I just have such great luck. I was wheeled off to the operating room within a few hours of arriving at the hospital. This was my first surgery…hopefully the last!

Everything went well. Between my mom and Dave’s mom, I have been well taken care of for the last few weeks, and Spencer has been well taken care of thanks to my brother Kyle, and sister-in-law Amanda. Thank you so much to my mom, Patti, Kyle, and Amanda; they helped make the last couple of weeks very restful and comfortable for me – they were wonderful. This week I am feeling much better, almost back to normal. I still feel a bit of discomfort, and I’m still swollen – which means my normal pants don’t fit, and I’m wearing maternity pants – thanks a lot! But I’m getting back into my normal routine which feels good. The very good news is that the doctors tell me that all of this really doesn’t affect my chances of having another normal pregnancy – yay!

But it is a little bit weird knowing that I have been cut open, and a part of my body - even though it is so small, and I’ll barely miss it – is now gone. Just weird.

So, sorry for the long post. And I hope I didn’t sound like “wo is me” or anything, I just thought I would share, because that’s what blogging is all about. Also, I would like to say Thank You – sooo much – for all of the love and prayers that have been sent my way, not to mention phone calls, flowers, cards, and meals. I am so blessed to have so many wonderful people in my life who care about me so much.

6 comments:

Mason & Laura said...

amanda, I'm so glad you are feeling good enough to get back on this blog! I didn't realize that the cyst was the size of a tangerine! and also that you were so faint Dave had to carry you into the ER (2 details that were failed to be mentioned to me all the way out here in South Carolina) Anyway, again--I'm glad you are doing well and that you had so many people out there to take care of you :)

Plainbellied said...

A csyt, too! You've been leaving out details left and right! Did they do anything about the cyst?

And I just want to add I really love your new template. Beautiful.

Elisha said...

So sorry to hear about your scary experience. I am glad you are feeling better. Don't you just love moms. I sure do.

Amanda said...

Oh Amanda Twinner!! I love you! I am glad that you are feeling back to normal almost! That makes me happy! We love you and are anxious for your regular pants to pit again!!! Love you!

Kara said...

So sorry to have all that bad luck, if you can call it luck at all. At least now you've been inducted into the surgery club...and you got to be waited on hand and foot!

Charlynne said...

Amanda!!! I am so sorry!!! wow, you've had a lot to deal with. I am a really bad friend, I am so sorry.