Tuesday, May 20, 2008

HAPPY 30TH BIRTHDAY DAVE!

Sunday, May 18th Dave hit the big 3-0! Saturday, the 17th, I threw him a big surprise party with the help of his family and friends (holler to Patti, Mandy, John, and Ben!). It was fabulous, and he was surprised! I wanted it to be a big party and something he'd always remember, so we had lots of friends and family there, Good Wood BBQ catered (Dave's favorite), we had a slide show, a Roast (not the meat, but where people get up and tell jokes about the birthday boy), cake, peach cobbler (Dave's traditional birthday dessert), gifts, and I even wrote Dave a poem. It was great, and both of us appreciated everyone who came - thanks for helping make his birthday so special! So here are some pictures of the special occasion...

On a side note - about 4 hours before the party Dave told me he had finally decided that the one thing he wanted to do for his birthday was to go camping - like right at that moment! Perspiration dotted my forehead as I was able to convince him that the birthday date (I had told him I had a special date planned for the 2 of us that night) would be worth it, and we could go camping another night. Thankfully that worked! He later agreed that the surprise I had planned was worth postponing the campout =).

Dave walking through the door to hear everyone yell SURPRISE!

A birthday would not be complete without a crown and sash...don't ya think?


Lots of people having lots of fun! Oh, and eating lots of food!
POEM
At the request of a few people, I am posting the poem I wrote and read to Dave at the party. Hope you like it =).
Ode to Dave (this is a working title)
Happy birthday my dear, you’ll be 30 tomorrow!
I hope that thought does not fill you with sorrow.

To lift your spirits I’d like to read you a poem,
And afterwards we can all go home.

This poem was written by my very own hand.
When I’m done you will say it’s the best in the land.

I’ve been thinking about your years up until now,
And a good word to describe your acheivments is “wow!”

We’ll start from the beginning, a good starting place.
Right now I can see a grin on your face.

Your mother says you were a sweet baby boy.
All of us would admit that you’re still full of joy.

Your first words - “me a monkey”- were so very cute...
But as the song goes, you smell like one too!

“King David” was a nickname for you as a child.
You’ve always been more independent than mild.

You did well in school, and your grades were quite keen,
Which made up for hitting puberty at age seventeen!

You love to play soccer, and it’s something you’re good at.
With your curly ponytail, on the bench you never sat.

You love playing pranks, especially poo dollar.
Your innocent victims would scream and would holler.

As a faithful missionary you went to Honduras,
You taught many people, and the gospel did flourish

You worked very hard, as everyone could see.
We won’t talk about the time you peed on that lady!

Then off to BYU with a gleam in your eye.
The proverbial knot you were looking to tie.

You had me at once with your breakdancing ways .
I knew that was the end of my single days.

Even though I said no, the tower bridge was so nice.
Good thing you’re persistant and proposed to me twice!

A better husband and father could not be asked for...
You even help out with most of the chores.

Spencer would say that as a dad you are great,
he loves all the dare devil tricks that you create.

At home you think you’re the fix it up chappy,
When our bathroom is finished, I’ll be very happy!

You are fearless and brave, or so I thought...
Till you made me kill a spider the size of a dot.

At all hours of the night you’re up writing code.
There’s no stopping you in your programming mode.

Who knew you’d end up being such a sharp business man?
One clue may have been that old nickname from your fam .

You are such a hard worker, some might say ADD.
The rest of us shout, there’s no keeping up with he!

I think our Indian friend spoke the truth:
“There’s no one else on this earth quite like you!”

You are honest, smart, funny, and kind.
A better best friend and companion one could not find.

It makes me feel special and very lucky,
That with me you’ve chosen to spend eternity.

I hope we surprised you at your birthday party,
And that our loving words have made you laugh hearty.

Turning 30 is great, you’ll be just fine...
But don’t you forget, I’m still 29!

6 comments:

Mason & Laura said...

Amanda! yay! I have been checking your blog waiting to see pictures of Dave's party! holy cow...you really went all out!! I love Dave's face in the surprise picture! (and in the crown and sash....haha) Anyway, it sounds like things went perfect! How fun!!!

Amanda said...

It was a fun night! I am glad you posted the poem! SO great! You kill me!!!!

Jessie said...

I love it, you guys are so great. I'm glad we get to be neighbors and friends.

Thanks again for letting us watch AI with you tonight, it was so fun! And Breanne is definitely looking forward to playing with Spencer tomorrow.

Sears Family of 6, wait wow 6!!!!! said...

That poem is great!! I am so sad I missed the party it looked really fun!

Natalie said...

Amanda, that poem was great! What a fun celebration! Congrats Dave on this great milestone!

Plainbellied said...

That's so cool you threw him a suprise party. Sam didn't even want to have company for his birthday.... In fact, he didn't even want to go out.