(That's totally me, right?!)I am a homemaker, a housewife, if you will. Many of my friends are as well. Recently, a few of my friends have asked me what I do all day. To me, it's kind of an interesting question because I'm not sure if they are just trying to make conversation, or if they're like..."Um, you only have one kid and you don't have a job. What do you even do all day?" I'm sure these friends are just making conversation...but I ask myself the second question sometimes, so that's why I worry that other people wonder the same thing about me! But when asked that question, what do I do all day, I have a hard time finding the answer. I mean, I know I usually feel pretty busy. I know I clean, and run errands, and play with Spence, and make meals...oh and watch tv and surf the internet...but does that really take up my waking hours 7 days a week? Seems like I could probably fit some more stuff in there! However, when I write it all down, it does seem like more than I realize, which makes me feel better. =)
Yesterday was a busy, but fairly typical day. Here is a list of my activities that I know you are each dying to see...
- Got up around 8am (I know, I'm lucky!)
- Made breakfast for Spencer and myself
- Checked e-mail, facebook, blogs...wrote some e-mail
- Played trains with Spence
- Cleaned the kitchen (dishes from the night before...ugh)
- Cleaned a bathroom
- Did one batch of laundry, and folded a batch from the night before
- Showered and did make-up and hair for the day...that is a production, you know
- Ate lunch with Spence - cold, but homemade, pizza from the night before.
- Ran errands - craft store, got my blood drawn, and Target (my favorite store!)
- Got home and played "pirates" with Spence. We had gotten his pirate Hallween costume at Target. (He is STILL wearing his pirate outfit, 24 hours later...)
- Made and ate dinner with the fam
- Cleaned up the kitchen right away, as guests were coming over
- Had an enrichment committee meeting at my house
- Put Spencer to bed
- Checked e-mail, facebook, and blogs...again.
- CRASHED...around 11:30
However, this is what I did on Monday. I felt kinda yucky Monday, so this would be considered more of a lazy day. They can get lazier though, trust me.
- Got up around 8
- Got Spencer breakfast, and then tried to go back to bed...but he wouldn't let me...dangit
- Ate breakfast
- checked all my internet stuff
- Cleaned kitchen (from the night before)
- folded laundry
- dozed on the couch while spence watched more tv
- Fixed lunch
- Tried to get Spencer to take a nap with me...to no avail (me dozing, while Spence bounced off the walls)
- Showered, etc
- Checked all my internet stuff
- Made some phone calls for church stuff
- Made dinner
- Watched the news with Dave
- Put Spence to bed
- Watched Dancing with the Stars
- Talked with my mom on the phone
- Internet again...yes, dangit
- Went exhaustedly (for some reason) to bed...around 11pm, I think
I would really like to start reading more (I am not a reader), and get some sort of hobby other than the internet. Like making cards, or digital scrapbooking (wait, that's the internet too!), or something. I need to keep my mind sharp...or make my mind sharp =).
But that, in a nutshell, is my life. Weekends can be a little more exciting =). Sometimes I get burned out, or bored. But usually I am glad to be doing what I'm doing...and glad I don't have to do this and a full-time, or even part-time, job.
What do you do all day?? =)

11 comments:
oooh,.. I like this post. Even though it makes me reflect on the hours wasted on the computer. So,.. today I drove by Mountain View High,.. do you remember when we took that Spanish Class,.. wanna know what I remember from that class? Nada!
Lucky! Sounds like fun to me, I'll trade positions with you for a day or two. :-)
I love that you wrote this post! I HATE when people ask me this question, not b/c I feel guilty with the truth, but b/c I think it's rude!
However, I recently switched to Digital Scrapping and I have a feeling you would LOVE it.
Also, my week would not be complete w/out a trip to the craft store.
Sometimes I'll find a good book and read and read and read and act like I can't hear Makenna waking up from her nap.
Also, nothing says Stay-at-home-Mom like a random episode of One Tree Hill in the middle of the day.
Man, I love my job.
My days always differ but we do a lot of the same things, and definitely some days are better then others!
The bad thing about reading more is that when you find a good book you either are dying for the day to end so you can keep reading or you kids watch a little more tv then normal because you can't put the book down! :-) Lets just say today was one of those days for me!
good for you, I think from working at a day care for about 6 months I think it's so sad that Mom's have to leave their little one's in overcrowded situations where I don't feel they get the attention they need and deserve....Of course I think there's many ways to make it work and those that have to work are usually doing the best they can but trust me I think staying at home with a little one is much higher and better a thing then trying to do it all and stretch yourself too thin and not doing any of it as well as if you know your limits and can concentrate on one thing the most and what can matter more then your child. Nothing in my opinion, of course I've only been a Mom for 3 1/2 months but I'm an oppinionated person anyhow :)>
I do think that 2 kids is harder than 1, but once you become a mother, you give all your time to your child. You aren't holding back 6 hours a day to give to future children. You give it all the first time. No one is busier than a first-time mother... that's what my sister told me and I agree.
That pretty much sounds like my day too!! What is it with always wanting to check facebook and email? I'm totally addicted..like I think someone is going to email me every two hours! haha (actually they do sometimes which I guess is why I still check it that often!)
Being a SATM is THE. BEST. JOB. EVER. For both selfless AND selfish reasons.
You will love looking back at this post years from now.
I just started reading Dr Laura's book "A Tribute to Stay at home Mom's" I am surprisingly enjoying it. It makes me want to savor every moment I have with my children. And if I have to give up a bigger house and a nicer car I will sacrifice for the hugs and I love yous.
Someday I will post a day and a life of me. Somedays are so busy.
This is interesting to me. I feel bad that stay at home moms are faced with feeling this way. I have the advantage of feeling what it's like to be both. I'm home 10 weeks in the summer and then work during the school year (part time this year). Trust me...it's hard no matter what! Being a working mom is hard, staying home all day is hard. If you find great daycare (like I have) than leaving your kid isn't horrible. I have had a lot of guilt because of it, but I feel that my kids love me and know I love them and that they are still being raised by me. I'm not even so sure the guilt is truly self-induced or that I let me 'perceived' judgements from those around me MAKE me feel guilty.
I think as women we just need to be more supportive in general. I read an awesome book by Chieko Okazaki (used to be in the General RS Presidency) called "Lighten Up" years ago that really helped my perspective on this.
I guess I'll get off my soapbox for now! I too am very opinionated on this subject. I think you are awesome though!!! Talk to you soon.
Yeah, so many times at the end of the day I feel like I was so busy and at the same time I think- what did I get done? If I get a lot of housework or errands done, sometimes I feel like I ignored the kids. If I spend a lot of time with the kids, sometimes I feel like I got nothing else done. Good think kids are cute and funny to help you feel good when it's hard. And good thing kids are resilient so when you mess up they don't hold a grudge. :)
Post a Comment