Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Necessary Evil

Ugh...swimsuit shopping sucks. First of all, I think swimsuits are a necessary evil...I mean, I do NOT want to wear one, but I do want to go swimming. Secondly, they are too expensive. Thirdly, trying on swimsuits that do not fit or do not flatter is really bruising to the ego...more like devastating. Fourthly, like men, a good one is SO hard to find! "All the ladies who truly feel me, throw your hands up at me..." A few years ago I randomly found one at Target that I ended up loving and wore for like 5 years until one of the straps broke. Last year I bought one that I don't like, and so this year the search continues...

I looked around in stores, but most everything I saw were skank-inis (ha ha, I just made that up!), so I decided to shop online. (By the way, the "skank" in "skankini" was meant to elude to skanki bikinis...not necessarily tankinis, cause a lot of those are cute and modest. K, back to the story...) I ended up buying 6 swimsuits and 3 pairs of boardshorts (oh, how I love the boardshort) to try on, and I spent more than I care to share, hoping 1 would work. Nope, none of them did. I was super annoyed, and Dave did not understand why I would need to get 6 swimsuits...he was a little perturbed. Men do NOT understand what women go through to find a swimsuit. Anyway, I was back to the drawing board, and I found one at Macy's that was one size too big in the store, so I bought the next size down online, and I have decided that it is "the one." For now, at least...

It looks way better on the hanger than on me =).
Now I have to send everything else back...ugh...
On the bright side...Seven Peaks here I come! After it stops raining, that is. Ugh...(hee hee).

9 comments:

Mary Ann said...

I hear you. And- that's funny because like 8 years ago I happened to find one at Target that I liked for a long time. The straps didn't break, but they got pretty darn gross and crusty. :) I thought that since it was so easy to find that one, it would be easy again. I guess times have changed. The one in the picture looks cute. :)

DC Diva said...

Amen, sister! Amen!! I had the same problem last week and Harley was NOT very patient as I tried on some 20 suits at the mall. He just didn't get it, as much as I tried to explain, how HORRIBLE swimsuit shopping is. I'm going to send him this post. I ended up scoring at Macy's too! I found SEVERAL I would have been happy to buy! (I walked away with one swimsuit and one grumpy husband.)

Amanda said...

I am glad you found on!! Ahhh,.. Seven Peaks is calling our name!!

Kara said...

Yay for you! It is TOTALLY bruising to the ego to be in that awful little dressing room with mirrors glaring at you from all angles, only to tell you what you already know...you have some rolls that didn't used to be there (me, not you). I found one last year that I love at Kohl's of all places and it's a LONG tankini (so no middle rolls hanging out) which I will hold on to until I wear holes into every corner of it.

Wait, was that comment TMI?

Anyway- so happy you found one. Can't wait to see you guys in August!

Harley King said...

Um, oh yeah, hi, um, when did you become my wife? Because I had this exact experience a week ago. We went swimsuit shopping...four hours later we left.

Seriously? Four hours? It's a swimsuit ladies not a car!

Anonymous said...

I loath swimsuit shopping. What I dislike even more is when I see totally cute suits at stores like Anthropologie and wonder who pays $200 plus bucks for a suit? Too bad, so sad for me. :-(

Mason & Laura said...

This post is HILARIOUS! Mostly because it's SO TRUE!!!! I think the suit you found is waaay cute. I, on the other hand, am NOT looking forward to finding a suit fit for my PREGNANT self! Ugh! But it's been rainy and chilly here, so I haven't really needed one--and you probably won't need one when you come to visit! YAY!! I can't wait!!!!

Amanda Nemelka said...

I hate shopping for a swimming suit so badly that I just don't do it. I'm wearing one my mom-in-law gave me like 6 years ago that was meant to be hers but she never wore it. Imagine how flattering that can be when you're wearing what is meant to be your 50 something mother in laws suit? But, I don't swim enough for it to be worth the money to buy a new one. Or the stress of it all.

Hey, I was thinking to day at church that we should get together for lunch sometime. That is assuming it's on a day that I'm actually showered before 1pm on that day. (ha ha).

Plainbellied said...

Would you believe I bought 4 swimsuits this year? Actually, I bought one and loved it, but it didn't fit. So I sent it back and ordered 3 more in different sizes. Then I ordered the original one again and sent back 2 of the second sets. Then I told the two I'd kept to a seamstress to have her make ONE that would fit? I refuse to add up the shipping, actual swimsuit costs, tailoring and expedited expenses. But I had a swimsuit to wear kayaking on my anniversary, and I'll be able to spend plenty of time at the beach and pool this summer. That's what matters, right?