Monday, February 21, 2011

Not winning any parenting awards around here...

Sad story...don't judge us...

Dave has been doing P90X (sorta), and Spencer likes to exercise with him. One day while they were exercising, Dave was doing push ups or something, and Spencer got on the treadmill. We let him use the treadmill sometimes, while we are right there, and when the speed is low, just for a couple of minutes...well, this time Spencer put the speed a bit too high and he lost his balance and rolled off the treadmill. Unfortunately, we had put the back treadmill too close to the wall, and Spencer got stuck there, while the treadmill was still going, and the belt was going and going and rubbing the skin off of his little arm! Dave said he grabbed him up within about 3 seconds, but the damage was done...poor, poor kid.
He had a bad burn (I guess is what you call it?) on his arm, and he cried for a good half hour. I would too!! Luckily, after that first night, he really didn't complain about it, unless we wanted to look at it, or change the bandage. I did call my brother in law, who is a doctor (hooray for a Dr. in the family!), and sent him a picture of the wound. It just looked so sad and kinda scary, so I was paranoid. We put some large, non stick, hospital grade bandages on it, and neosporin, and taped it up. Spencer called it a cast, and LOVED showing people his cast. Within a few days it was looking much better. By the end of a week it was scabbed over, and about 2 weeks later it was pretty much healed. I love that kids are so resilient, and heal so quickly! And, I think we've all learned our lesson about mixing kids and treadmills.


Sorry, is this too gross? It still makes me cringe to see it. And this picture was taken 2 days after the accident...so it really is healing.



This is his brave face...while we change the bandages.

All healed up, a little over 2 weeks later!




7 comments:

Amanda said...

I can't believe I haven't heard this story!! Poor kid! You can't even tell anything happened,.. I burned Bailey's arm once with a curling iron and she still has a little scar,... I think it hurts the parents emotions just as bad! Poor kid!

Kara said...

So sad! What a tough little guy, though. I'm loving your beautiful kitchen too! I need a post with pics of your new house.
Glad his arms all better now:)

Kricket said...

Don't you hate having to admit these kid of stories to others. I'm glad he is all healed up.

Mason & Laura said...

Wow, that did look like it hurt ... but I am AMAZED how fast it healed!! And your kitchen looks beautiful! Hopefully I'll get to meet your new house so very soon :)

Middletonfamily said...

Tell Spencer that I love his brave face! That really is a yucky burn but I'm glad to hear that it has healed already. Don't feel to bad Addie loves to play on our elliptical and has fallen on it a couple times but she just keeps getting back on. No matter what I tell her!

Amanda Nemelka said...

Oh man...scary! Glad it turned out well. My nephew (when he was 9 months old) got too close to his mom's tread mill and it did the same thing to his poor little hand. He had to have a skin graft (spelling??) and everything! Spence was a trooper!

Anonymous said...

That happened to my step-son at his grandmother's house. Ripped the skin off his back just like your son's arm. It was horrible!
I hide the key to our treadmill from our daughters. There is no way I want to repeat that experience!
(I saw a link to your blog on Silvia Green's blog.)
Penny